List Relationship Marketing - Build Rapport With Your List by Relating Current Events to Your Niche

You want your information to stand out among the sea of blog posts, articles, emails, and other communications your prospects will be exposed to on a regular basis. An excellent way is to relate a current event to your niche. There are many ways to do this, but you will want to choose events that are timely, that you can use to make a point regarding your topic, and that hold the interest of the person you are trying to connect with. This can all be done without compromising the integrity of your business.

You can find timely current events simply by keeping your eyes and ears open to what's happening around you. Whether you receive your information from the network news, magazines, newspapers, or any other source, there is always something happening that can turn into a media connection for your niche. For example, during the recent Olympic Games I wrote about the leadership skills and the similarities of being an athlete to those of an entrepreneur. It made for interesting reading and many of my readers commented on my post. This was a way to connect with people I had never heard from before.

Make a relevant point about the current event you are writing about. Even if it is a stretch, you can connect most events to your niche. Think about awards that are given for the arts and for science, a discovery that makes people think differently about the world around them, or a small achievement by someone not usually in the news. Once I wrote about a man who had jumped onto the subway tracks to save another man from being run over by the oncoming train. This small act of heroism saved a life and changed two lives forever. I related that to the events surrounding one of my mentors in his life and business. All of this makes us more real and human in the eyes of our prospects.

Even though our businesses are interesting and exciting to us, or should be, this may not be the case with someone on your list. By relating a current event and sharing a more personal story along with it, we are able to draw that person in to our world, even if it is only for a short time. When I think about how I came to start my online business and become an entrepreneur, it is the stories that made a difference to me. Imagine getting just one person to want to change their life, based on a story you shared that was based on a current event. When I was a classroom teacher that happened regularly; in my online business it is far too rare.